Sunday, January 15, 2012

Yo estoy oftalmologa.

Some people would call slapping your forearms with hard inflated rubber repeatedly for 1 1/2 hours punishment or even perhaps torture. In Ixtlan we call it some really good volleyball. Since we finished playing Saturday my arms have been swollen, tender and if you look close enough spotted with petechia in places from busted cappillaries. They're on the mend and should be good as new by tomorrow. :)

Often times my drive home from the hospital finds me enjoying my music either singing along, maybe dancing, sometimes both. Last week one such drive I happened to be singing, and noticed a guy from my class was driving by. From what I've noticed in my years of driving, drivers aren't tipically paying attention to surrounding drivers, so I was hoping I could bank on that. NO WAY!!!! The next day he came into clinical cases and sat next to me; he had a supressed smile and a gleam in his eye. The gleam that says you know a secret. Made like he was going to say something, but rethought it and instead offered me some of his Bubu Lubu. ay ay ay doh *facepalm*

Mexicans have a plethora of names, and often a doctor needs to be told by which of their names they typically go by.
- One girl is called Ana Eugenia. By when the doctora called her Ana she wrinkled up her nose and said she likes Eugenia. I joined the doctora in surprise. Who would prefer Eugenia over Ana...but I guess she does.
- Another girl is called Alejandra, but goes by the nickname, Alex. Here's the hitch, it's spelled Aletes. Which is very important to her that everyone knows. "Aletes...with tes!"

For one of our consults people have been turned away for not having proper uniform, or for having the wrong kind of shoes, or because their shoes aren't white enough. One of my classmates was telling us she had used alcohol wipes too clean her shoes but was still denied access for dirty shoes. So I just cleaned my shoes with toothpaste. I figure if it can whiten teeth it better have some power over dirty shoes. Priorities a little skewed if you ask me but if they want white shoes, they gottem. Plus, now my feet'll smell minty fresh!

Hasta!

No comments: