Thursday, March 10, 2011

Yo estoy fea.

Well the week has progressed and needless-to-say I fear I started out OB/GYN on my third left foot, or maybe it was right....but either way it was The Wrong Foot. Picture an obese, Anthony Hopkins looking Cuban. Got that? He's one of the OB/GYN doctors here at UAG. Tuesday in our lecture (so in front of all 50 some Internationals and 100 or so Latins) he called me ugly. Then today again in the lecture he made fun of my hair and then not so subtly let it be known that I am dumb. On top of embarrassment I was mad, and the combination caused such a dramatic increase in perfusion to my head that I could feel my scalp start to prickle. My goal for OB/GYN now is to survive with at least a shred of self-esteem intact.

It didn't help that today when I got home I bought a plane ticket home for the summer. And just as I pushed purchase I realized I was buying a ticket for the wrong day. Perhaps the doctor is right after-all. It'll be awhile before I can stop beating myself up over that one at least.

For another interesting OB/GYN doctor found here at UAG you need to picture British looking from the front and German looking from profile. Make sure you add in a white mustache. Now let me relay some of his dialogue from lecture the other day.
Doc: "Touch your nose. Now touch your ear lobe. Your nose is not pregnant. Your ear is pregnant."
Like I said...interesting. Where he gets his odd analogies I have no idea, but at least I'll forever remember that I have pregnant ears.

We had a group of 11 for Bible study last night. I'm not sure if that's a record or not, but it has definitely been the most we've had in over a year. In fact, since the beginning of the semester there's been at least 7 every Wednesday. It's become a joke amongst the study that we need to have a dry erase board to write all the verses down on. Some weeks are better than others, but sometimes, on those 'other' weeks, we'll move on to the next verse and before everyone has found it, the book, chapter, and verse(s) have all been repeated at least 8 times. That's another thing that AC upbringing has given me; I'm the only one at the studies that know the books of the Bible and where to find them. Some have the Bible on their iphones, so with a few touches of their screen they're at the right place. I wish I could make it easier on those who have to search as I can tell they eventually start to get a little bit frustrated. But as our studies are a mixture of Catholic and various Christian denominations, we have to focus on God's Word and Jesus is our unifying factor, and therefore searching through the Bible for each verse is unavoidable. Also because Bible studies are never actually finished early enough to send out so that the group could print out the verses ahead of time. But I figure that with enough searching, they'll start to get general ideas of where the main books are and from there it'll get easier for them. If not we'll just continue to wait for everyone.

Hasta!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fat Anthony Hopkins Cuban is stupid. You're a babe. When are you coming home?

David and Tara said...

Sounds like you're keeping busy. The Bible study sounds so interesting with so many backgrounds and experiences! When are you going to be home this summer? Please let me know!
Tara