Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Yo estoy sana.

I investigated at the lab today for the results of the viral panel of the patient I got too close to the other day. When I asked at the lab if the results were ready the lady at the computer typed in the information then after staring at her screen turned to the other lady and said, "ummmmm, it's green!" The other lady then got a weird look on her face and started searching her own computer. I was like...whoa, whoa, whoa ladies...What's green mean?...what's going on?....What's the results?...Is green bad?!?!?!?! In the end the panel was negative for any of the tested antibodies. In other words, I do not have HIV. whewww! I'm safe....for now.

The IMSS hospital that I am currently at is 13 stories. The surgical floor is #12. Guess where the operating rooms are....Floor #2. As one elevator is currently not working there's a grand total of 2 small elevators serving all 12 floors, and as an IMSS it serves thousands. In other words good luck catching/fitting on the elevator any time soon. However as we are 10 floors away from the operating room going down and up is a necessary evil. I try to take the stairs. I try to go as gracefully as possible to prevent any unnecessary panting and wheezing, a.k.a. attract any attention. Doesn't exactly work, but oh well. Passing floors 3, 4, & 5 are the worst because I'm already tired and yet still have more than halfway to go!

This week I have been placed with the oncologist surgeon. The Doctor in the morning is an interesting character. He doesn't exactly ignore me, but tries to pretend I'm not there. He gets really excited about his surgeries though. There's been a lot more blood involved in these surgeries. I helped with some skin excisions on an English speaking lady (originally from Massachusetts). The one on top of her head....looked like she had a sprinkler spouting. I took her specimens to path, and then got to take her the good news and in English no less! That was fun! Today I scrubbed in on an exploratory surgery of the neck. The surgeon and resident had a bit of trouble once the jugular was hit at getting it under control again. I tell ya what....it was right in there between ouch! and boinnngggggg!

I still get excited that I'm not getting lightheaded during any of this! I'm finally loving surgery! It's soooo much better outside the classroom!

Hasta!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! No HIV! :)I was praying for ya, chica!

Amy