Sunday, February 20, 2011

Yo estoy chill.

I have to say that my level of excitment last Wednesday got a bit deflated as Thursday and then Friday went by much slower than the beginning of my week. I was kind of stuck in a corner. I wasn't able to enter the surgeries, which is what I am most bummed about. I tried to tag along with my interns to learn from them, but that only worked about 50% of the time. I've always got a book with me, so I could at least study if I really couldn't busy myself with something else.

On one occasion I went with my intern to take one of our patients for an opthalmic interconsult. While waiting the intern disappeared saying she'd be back in 15-20 minutes. 35 minutes later the consult was over and she wasn't back, so I headed off with the patient back to our floor. None of the elevators were working, so after about 12 minutes of waiting for one I got us squeezed onto one of the surgical ones. The workers that we shared the elevator with just laughed at our situation and said, "Welcome to IMSS." After leaving the patient at her room and discussing with the family I let one of the workers take her wheelchair, as I had assumed that it had been borrowed from them anyways. Two minutes later my intern finally reapeared, and unfortunately I had assumed wrong. The wheelchair had been borrowed from a specific individual. She and I then commenced a 12 floor search for a wheelchair! We finally found it way down on the ground floor, down a hallway, through a small room that led to another room. *Note to self: always know where your wheelchair has come from!

Something of interest that I have observed at the IMSS. Everyone types with their index fingers. The doctors, the residents, the interns. Thinking about it, I'm not too surprised. I'm sure the majority learned to type on a typewriter. On the surgical floor there is one computer, and five typewriters. In addition, not all schools here in Mexico even have computers yet, let alone typing classes.

As Anjuli, Jennifer and I were scheduled to stay late for our guardia on Friday it meant that we had the whole weekend off! Very exciting! I was very content to go to Ixtlan and enjoy our church family there for a weekend! Now I'm back in GDL again trying to convince myself to relax and enjoy being on the brink of another week! It's working....somewhat ;)

Hasta!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

catching up on your blog...sending you a big hug and prayers! It's fun to read about all your adventures!
Love ya
K