Monday, February 14, 2011

Yo estoy lista!

Anjuli had the brillant idea Friday to ask if we could move our Saturday guardia hours to Friday night. We got approved for Friday night so after a few hours off we were back at the IMSS by 7:00pm ready to hold down the fort for the night. Maybe a little too ready. One of the interns actually told us to sit down and calm down...we were making her nervous with all of our bustling about and asking to help. :/ All in all nights really aren't bad. Let's just say you get the most random and interesting surgeries at 1:30 am. And if there's some down time no one blames you for trying to get some sleep. I got about 1 1/2 hours spread across four chairs using a folded scrub top as a pillow. Early morning one of the interns told me to get updates on some of the patients. I checked on them and then returned to report that they were all asleep to which he replyed 'get the updates anyways.' Argh! I was thankful to discover that each would smile (kind of) when I woke them. I guess that in their situation, they are just happy to see a doctor no matter the time.
- For example, Friday night we were doing some admits and we came across patient 1163 who apparently had been there since early that morning and had yet to see any doctor. Upon review of his chart we could see that patient 1163 had been sent to the surgical floor for "probable appendicitis". However, upon actually talking with the patient it was easy to conclude that he was not in fact suffering from appendicitis. We brought light to the problem surrounding patient 1163 and shortly thereafter his file disappeared. Last I heard he was moved to Urology. I wonder how long he had to wait Saturday to see a doctor.

We got home shortly after 8am Saturday morning and I set off to make good use of my weekend. This weekend went by soooo fast! This could be due to the fact that I spent more time than normal sleeping. Slept plenty Saturday night, and then ended up falling asleep for a nap today....twice! and I never take naps! So didn't make as much progress on my mental list as I'd wanted, but at least I'm ready for another week!

Hasta!

No comments: