Thursday, March 26, 2015

Estoy haciendo una lista.

The Attending this week in the TICU is Ukranian.  However, he is most commonly referred to as 'blonde hair' and 'Russian' and you immediately know of whom the patient is referring.  So we will just call him Dr. Russian. He always wears the same tan blood-stained shoes and either a red or lavender shirt underneath his scrubs. He has an abrupt personality and an aggressive approach to patient management. Not necessarily a 'dangerous' approach, but rather just the opposite of a 'cautious' approach.  Personally, I'm usually a bit winded by the end of rounds. If a patient has tubes, he wants them out.  If a patient has no tubes, he wants them in. As I said, an aggressive approach, the 'waiting and watching' option not found often in his management.  And on rounds in the TICU, as the patient's primary care giver, you should know and defend your plan for the patient from head to toe.  If your plan isn't adequate he'll interrupt you to ask, "Why patient ICU?"

He comes off to most as intimidating. Residents may even confess that they are scared of him.  Being forced to respond to a non-smiling, heavily-accented and demanding "Why patient ICU?" But if you just look at his eyes when he says that, you can see straight through to his inner teddy-bear. And it makes me smile.

I'm dropping down to cover the TICU tonight for just one night and then switch back to days again. It's really not cool that they schedule us as such. One blessing that came from it though; I was able to call up the eye doctor and squeeze into an opening that they had. Ordered new contacts (I was on my last pair) and replacement glasses. Able to check that off my list of things to do while on vacation. yesssss! more time to enjoy family and friends! As for the replacement glasses, they were needed as my current pair were over 8 years old and the wrong prescription. I picked a random pair and just went with it.  I laugh at myself now whenever I happen to catch myself in the mirror.  I have no idea what I was thinking!

I'm going to leave early for the hospital this evening and stop by the pharmacy. Pick up my malaria prophylaxis for Haiti!  I have to admit, it is a definite perk to be able to say to your co-worker. "Hey, can you call in a prescription for me?"

Five days!!

Much Love.

No comments: