Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Estoy golpeando mi cabeza.

Had a quick meeting with the Neurosurgeon today.  Over a week ago I had submitted new information to him, and last week he got back to me with new data points he wants me to analyze.  So I went in today to confirm what was expected of me before I started. He had some not so welcome news for me. Turns out my check and my recheck was not quite adequate enough.  After analyzing over 130,300 minutes of brain data.  Correlating that with over 1,300 microdialysis samples. And then using that to extrapolate over 40 data points for each patient. Somewhere in all of that I am off by 1.  

I need this right now...

I drove home bemoaning why I hadn't checked the recheck....or even then rechecked the check of the recheck for that matter.  Marini reruns his numbers at least 7 times, why would I think that twice was good enough?  (honestly, probably because it had already taken me weeks just to do that) I suppose that's why we pass our rough data and rough drafts around the office, for fresh eyes to take a look.

But this is research. Nothing finished until evidence-based proven fact.  There is no room for error.  No room for a mistake.  You can't be off by one and round it, approximate it, say 'it's close enough.'  You spend the time rechecking...7 times if need be, so that what you have to say will stand up against the required peer review and international scrutiny.

I work in a field of medicine dictated by evidence and limited by sight.
I choose to live by faith.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

John 17:16-18
16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

Hasta!

No comments: