Saturday, February 15, 2014

Estoy apresurando.

I found out Thursday evening that WMC has a policy requiring volunteers to stay 24 hours when the hospital is going through a natural disaster, such as a hurricane or....the winter storm that continued on into the night on Thursday.  I found out because I was in the volunteers office with my volunteer supervisor taking care of some paperwork, and instead of calling a volunteer to come in through the storm I volunteered to just stay.  Due to the storm there were many parents, as well as aides that were unable to make it, and therefore for the vast majority of Thursday evening I found myself over in the pediatrics hospital feeding and holding babies.  One particular little guy stole my heart.  If I put my finger in his little hand he'd grip it tightly, and more than just the common finger grip reaction.  He wouldn't loosen his grip, almost as if he was scared, and didn't want you to leave.  So I stayed dancing around his room with him to the playful sounds of Dora the Explorer, at least I did until the next baby needed feeding.  After holding him for so long my jacket held his smell and so all day Friday I was getting olfactory induced memories. :)

Among the hallway of offices at the hospital more than a few will refer to us research fellows as 'the kids'.  I totally abused the title yesterday.  I bought a box of Iron Man Valentines and handed them out to everyone.  Iron Man because I couldn't bring myself to go with the fairies or Barbie options.  Something silly like those little valentines they received back in grade school totally played on the nostalgia of their own childhood. You should have seen their faces!! Valentine's Day Win!

For my own Valentine's I requested some of my daily manna in the form of cupcakes! Sweetness! First however, I gave half of them to my neighbor.  There's one shovel for the whole deerhaunt, and he's typically the resident shoveler.  I had started shoveling a place for me to park when I got home yesterday (I'd stayed at the hospital the past two nights due to the storm).  He got home shortly after and took over, finishing my spot and then continuing on down the row.  Even as the snow keeps falling this winter, he keeps on shoveling...not just for himself, but for everyone.  And for once I could do more than just say thank you!  As for the last two cupcakes....one for me, and one for Jesus.  But then because He loves me so much He said I could have His as well.  The feeling's mutual....but, I still ate the cupcake. ;)

Hasta!

No comments: