Friday, June 29, 2012

Yo estoy asentada.


I finally started on my personal statement.  I got as far as one sentence and stopped.  Periodically I’d return throughout the week, open the word document, and those seven black words would stare back at me off the white page, “I have no idea what to say.”  Eventually I got over myself, regurgitated something onto the page and sent it off to a friend saying…Help!  Hopefully between the two of us we’ll be able to produce something acceptable.  

When I moved into my studio the toilet didn’t exactly…behave, shall we say.  Since then we’ve come to an understanding., and, well….it works now.

My building is just across from the entrance to my hospital’s emergency room.  This means I know when each and every ambulance arrives.  I first hear them as they cross the intersection before arriving at the hospital.  I don’t mind the Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!  But the majority don’t Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!  Instead they just repeatedly bump the siren making more of a Wa. WaaWa.  Waa. Wa. Wa. Wa. WaWaWaa.  And it rather annoys me, but I figure most would prefer the staccato whine over the full out cry so I guess it is what it is.

To throw out garbage in my apartment building bags can be thrown down an incinerator chute which run the entire height of the building.  On my floor the incinerator chute happens to be up against the wall of my studio and every time someone discards the chute closes sending a clang echoing through my apartment.

You know how when you’re in a new place you hear a bunch of sounds but as time develops you don’t recognize the sounds as much as you’ve become desensitized to them.  I have actually spent time at night just listening, trying to recognize what all the new sounds are and perhaps speed up the desensitization process.  I’m not sure if it’s worked.  Most sounds have faded to white noise, but I still hear the incinerator chute clang.

On our way home from the medical college the other day, I noticed the traffic starting to back up and a sign announced an accident on one of the connecting roads we take.  I made a quick exit and took an alternate route home all without even slowing down.   I patted myself on the back for that one.  Getting more used to these crazy NY roadways and traffic.

Hasta!

No comments: