Thursday, June 21, 2012

Yo estoy caliente.


The windows of my studio face East.  The sun wakes me up well before I need to each morning.  Definitely not used to that.  I used to enjoy waking up with the sun, but then I got used to waking up first and now all I can think about is how difficult it is going to be when the time changes and I have to adjust back to waking up before the sun again.  A benefit to East facing windows is, however, that I don’t have the glaring New York sun heating up my studio right now.

Our training/review courses are underway at the NYMC campus in Valhalla.  At our orientation Monday morning not only did they hand each of us our own completed schedule for the whole year, but in addition we received a packet of which I am going to quote for you the first sentence. “This Guide is to help you understand both what we expect of you during your rotations as well as what you can do to make your rotation run more smoothly.”  And those were only a small part of the whole orientation binder we each got.  I might as well have been told they were refunding my tuition for the year…I couldn’t have been more thankful.  Definitely not in Kansas anymore Toto! 

Finished ACLS/BLS today so I am now legally certified to send 360 joules of electricity coursing through your body.  Talk about a JOLT!!!  Don’t worry…I’ll only do so if your heart tells me to. ;)  

Can’t say I feel at home yet here in my studio apartment and probably won’t for awhile.  Unfortunately about that time I’m scheduled to be away.  I have my first away elective scheduled in 4 weeks.   In other words I have to research residency programs, make my list of options I’m interested in, and then proceed to call them about letting me visit for four weeks.  And I have to do it all, like, yesterday.  I’ve gotten to the beginning of the phone call step and so far nothing but, “Sorry, you’re home school is in Mexico…we can’t accept you.”  Lord, this would be so much easier if you could just tell me where, hmmm?  Because right now I feel like I hang up the phone, look at my list and depressingly think, where do I want to be rejected from next.

On another depressing note: I already knew that we have to wait until after this year to receive our actual “titulo” from UAG, which I had assumed was the M.D.  Well…..I had assumed wrong.  We learned the other day our “titulo” is issued as DMS (Doctorate of Medicine and Surgery).  We can work on a DMS, but eventually we’ll run into problems as people don’t know what a DMS is.  Meaning….more hoops for us to jump through.  Once we have our DMS we’ll have to additionally complete a specific application to get the MD.  

Hasta!

No comments: