Friday, April 15, 2011

Yo estoy contando las horas.

tick tock bom bom bom

This week was one of those weeks. One of those weeks were you have to remember to schedule time to remind yourself to breathe. Gotta do this. Gotta go here. And of course Mexico doesn't help with any of this process. Get a request from this office. Pay a bill at this office. Take receipt to this office. etc... oh well...

Finished OB/GYN learned a lot and enjoyed my last week the most. Had the most hands on then. Delivered a total of three beautiful babies; it would have been four but we ended up taking the last one into emergency c-section. However, even after this last week I can't say that it changed how I feel about the specialty in general. Unfortunately, it's gonna have to go down as a no.

I just got back from completing and then sending off another elective application. The FedEx guy recognized me from the last time. I was like, yup...another for the United States! The particular FedEx office that was pointed out to me, and hence the one I use only has overnight shipping and therefore is expensive. But at the same time I like knowing my papers are getting there quick. And honestly, for this particular application, they need to get there quick.

One of the requirements for this particular application was a telephone interview to test my English proficiency. Easiest interview ever hands down. I called in and about 1.5 minutes into the conversation the lady exempted me from the entire interview. Said my English skills were satisfactory! Oh Yeah Baby! Hey, don't blame me... I take my ego boosters whereever I can get'em. However, there is one thing I just don't get. This occurred.
Lady: What school do you go to?
Me: Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara
...awkward silence...
Me: It's in Guadalajara, Mexico
Lady: Oh ok....(continues conversation)
She knew I was an international student. What did she expect?

Another thing about being a foreign student that isn't berries and cherries...translations. For example: order my transcript - 28 dollars; get my transcript translated - 50 dollars. sheesh!

A group my classmates and I were discussing and asking advice about 4th and 5th years from a current 8th semester a few nights ago. It was the first time I've actually spent some thought on my fifth year in New York. I've only always said it or thought about it in passing and moved on to the next topic. We went over some of the hospital options available to us in New York and Yonkers was mentioned. I already know I couldn't go to Yonkers. I can't even say the name without thinking of Cornelius and Barnaby. If I were actually living there I would probably be turning every corner hoping I'd see Vandergelder's Hay & Feed. I'd be in the loony bin quicker than you can say 'stuffed whale.' But as this will be after we're done here....I've still got some time. Heat's down low on this one for now, won't boil for awhile; got other pots to attend to first.

So I guess I'm on Spring Break now! Finally! Not really a fan of Easter being so late this year. But in other words, this means that the weeks and then the days that I've been counting down are now down to mere hours! Yep, HOURS FOLKS!

Off to see the world I am! Peace!

Hasta!

P.S. In 2007, was announced as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World!

No comments: