Saturday, April 23, 2011

How to Heal a Broken Heart

Within the few following hours upon arriving back in GDL (4am last Sunday morning, the 17th) both Jennifer and I had already found a way out and had fled GDL once again. We didn't have to say anything to each other, we both knew and understood that we were feeling the same. GDL was the last place on Earth either of us wanted to be right then. As for me, I'd had plans to visit Texas with my friend Veronica (Vero) and as she was a-okay with moving up those plans, we were soon both on board an overnight bus to the border. We walked across the border late Monday morning and here in South Texas is where I've undertaken the task of acceptance and moving on.

Through extensive research (shout-out to Google.com) and the help of friends I thought I'd share my progress with you all!

1) As happy thoughts don't come as readily as normal, a facilitator of happy thoughts was used as intervention. In my case, Chocolate


OK...Lots of Chocolate.


2) A pedicure was suggested and I figured it works for the rest of young adult America so why not.


3) Coffee: Not exactly sure why this one was recommended, but at least it helps me study in the mornings. I'd have taken a picture of myself with my coffee, but as I haven't been getting a whole lot of sleep lately I doubt my eyes would have been that open.


4) Shopping: It was easy to convince my friends to help me with this one! ;)


5) Relaxing: So easy to do when there's a pool in the back yard!


6) Read a book: Suggested to keep the mind occupied. Although the free reading book that I brought is about princesses and goblins, I typically find myself grabbing my study book when I've got some down time to read. USMLE trumps princesses and goblins.


7) Regular socializing and exercising! This suggestion I've got covered!! I don't have an accompanying photo because I figured if you really want to see people socializing you can google images. And as for the exercising...let's just say that the heat plus the humidity of the valley equals one very sweaty girl. For example, we played basketball until 1 am the other night and when we were done you couldn't have told the difference between that and if I had flat out jumped in the pool. So regular socializing (check) and exercising (check) but I'll spare you the pictures of said checks.

8) Smile & Laugh: In other words focus on what's good in life. It seems the littlest thing reminds me of Peru and with each reminder I have to work my way back to reality. Start with the smile and soon enough I'm laughing again. I am so thankful that the smiling and laughing are so easy to achieve here. The below picture was a random photo I found on my camera. Where we are at(Donna, TX) is right by McAllen, TX... in other words, about 15 minutes from the border. So we had taken a short trip across the border and Vero had been messing around with my camera on the way back. I figured that in this instance a random snapshot is better proof that I can still smile than something posed.


So far I'd have to conclude that the afore mentioned steps have succeeded in securing the pieces of my heart into a shape somewhat resembling .... a heart. Slightly overly dramatic?.... perhaps ;)
Hasta!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww Happy Easter Christy Sue!! Love ya miss ya and sending you a hug!
and just saying that hammock looks pretty AMAZING :) - K