Sunday, August 15, 2010

Yo estoy BeBop, a ReBop, a Rubarb pie!

I had contemplated whether I should go to Ixtlan this weekend. It was weird as I knew that in the end I would end up going no matter the reasons for staying, but for some reason I kept pretending like I was still in the process of deciding. Even upon arrival I was making up reasons of why I should have stayed in GDL, but......now I am so glad I went. Regg Beer (Ixtlan) was announced to Bev Schlatter (Junction)today. I have gotten to know both of these wonderful people over my two years here. Regg almost like a brother as we shared the table of Mom & Dad Heinold on my weekends in Ixtlan, and Bev has come to Ixtlan every summer that I've been here (3 so far)this last summer being the one allowing us to get to know each other well. And even more exciting is that they will start their married life together here in Ixtlan. I'm so excited!

This post might be a bit longer. I was to have a group meeting tonight, but as we all had gotten our work done, and technically we don't need to be ready with the presentation till Tuesday we got lazy and postponed our meeting till tomorrow after class.

I'm finally starting to feel together again. It usually is hard the first week or so being back, it was just exceptionally harder this time due to things being so different and things needing done were plentiful. This weekend upon arrival at Ixtlan Marshall & Jan's house was without electricty. This is the second time that's happened to me. Their electricity is shut off while they're gone and then I arrive to stay and ooops! I was able to do my work down at the guesthouse and then the Gonzalez's invited me to sleep at their home. While there I noticed a small poster on the wall that said 'We hate saying goodbye......but can't wait to get to our futures." That feeling hits home with me the hardest after a visit home. After personalized attention from my parents, and hour long discussions with amazing friends of like faith, and in general indulging myself in the luxuries America has to offer the 'We hate saying goodbye' part outweighs the latter. And then I work through my nostalgia and start looking around me instead of inside me and see Mexico again and Jesus waiting as always. Waiting for me to quit being stubborn and to move my feet again.

After three days of making trips to the muffler place I finally got a new muffler on Saturday. It's an "adapted" one, translation: pieces welded together to make a complete muffler. The owner of the muffler shop is white with orange hair, looks typically Irish, but is definitely Mexican. I guess he's the first Irish-Mexican I've ever met. Driving away with my new muffler attached I couldn't help but break out in a few Hallelujah coruses. Got to celebrate the small things!

I also finally took it upon myself to change the name on my electricity bill to my name. I thought, easy...find one of their offices, ask them to change the name, and then pay the current bill. Bang! all done! hahahahaha, boy was I kidding myself on that one! They of course needed copies of paperwork from me first. Then, finally, after the line behind me has grown, she takes the current bill from me and gives me a new bill that has charged me for the name change. Flabbergasted! (correct me if I'm wrong, but from my past experiences in the States, I was never charged for changing the name on a bill!) anyways, i know there's no use in fighting random charges in Mexico cause you'll end up with three other charges. But when I asked if I could just go ahead and pay the new bill I was rejected! What?! you want my money and then refuse to take it! pshhh! Mexico!! so right now I can't decide how long I want to make them wait to get my money. probably shouldn't wait to long. There's no grace period in Mexico like there is in the States. If the bill isn't paid on time, the light is turned off the next day. And of course you're charged extra to get it turned back on.

Hasta!

No comments: