Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Yo estoy mojada.

I had planned on updating the blog Monday, today… or in the current tense, yesterday, when I got back from Ixtlan. However, the internet was acting weirdly and so I am writing in a word document for the time being and will post the following to my blog tomorrow, Tuesday…or in the current tense, today. One would think that internet would be a rather conformed staple. However, in Mexico even the internet seems to be more laid back. I mean, today was a national holiday in Mexico, even the internet got the day off!

After staying in Ixtlan for the extra day I am unfortunately confused now and have had to remind myself more than a few times that tomorrow is Tuesday not Monday. It’s not that I want tomorrow to be Monday, but more along the lines that I almost always get back from Ixtlan Sunday night, and so that’s what it automatically feels like.

I woke up this morning to the sound of rain on the roof. A pleasant sound, yes, but to me, on this particular day I couldn’t quite enjoy it. The young group (and a few married) had plans, and rain had the potential of spoiling those plans. As the day progressed the clouds never did clear up, nor did the rain ever completely stop, however, plans were carried out almost as planned. We went to the geyser, played volleyball, and ate food. Playing volleyball is always fun. When the rain wasn’t sprinkling us then it was the geyser that was erupting and spraying us with its mist. My hair I’m sure was a huge friz mess. Thank goodness there were no mirrors around to confirm what I was feeling on top of my head. For our meal, the dough was brought, we made a fire there, and we made our own tortillas on the spot. Took awhile to get the fire hot enough due to the wet conditions, but after lots of smoking and blowing on it, a flame was produced and maintained. The weather did finally win out in the end. When it started pouring after the meal, we couldn’t play more volleyball, so everyone was starting to get a bit chilled. We called it a day.

Here’s a few pictures:
Warming up, getting ready for some fierce Ixtlan-style volleyball playing!!! Notice the net is half tied to the tree, and half to the post. We make due with what is available!


The tortilla making assembly line. Yet still waiting for the fire to get hot enough.


L to R: Lupita, Jessica, Elsa, Me, Issa; everyone moved undercover when the rain started hard. Notice behind us the tortilla makers are still at work. Maria, happened to have a huge patio type umbrella with her that they used to protect themselves…and the tortillas.


The whole group from the day. First row L to R: Jessica, Lupita, Elsa, Maggie, Fabi, Claudia, Nayeli, Rosario, Natan, Rudy. Back row L to R: Ana, Issa, Maria, Regg, Diego, Gloria, Me


Hasta!

No comments: