Friday, January 8, 2010

Yo estoy cubierta.

Week one of Fourth semester done. I think I would use the term quiet to describe it. That is perfectly fine with me. Did some shopping on Tuesday, and started up Bible study again on Wednesday, but other than that I came home from class and spent my afternoons and evenings studying, eating, and wasting time on the computer all the while trying to stay warm. I know that's confusing, but honestly I am colder here than I was in Illinois. We've had constant cloud coverage so temperatures are lucky to reach 70 degrees during the day which does nothing in terms of warming my apartment up which is lucky to get up to 60 degrees during the day. Even our classroom on campus is only about 60 degrees. So granted compared to Illinois outside temperatures are drastically different, but at least in Illinois one could enter a home and warm up/be comfortable. Sitting in my apartment in my sweats and under fleece blankets trying to study my blood tends to stop flowing efficiently and I find myself saying I wish I were back in Illinois so I could warm up!
How I stay warm:
1. Hood is always up on my hoodie sweatshirt.
2. When my hands get past being just cold I heat up water. Holding the cup (or attempting to) warms up the hands. Drinking the water warms the rest of me.
3. When my feet get past being just cold I move into my bedroom where I have a tiny space heater and I study in there for a while sitting in front of it (a.k.a. my feet in front of it)
4. Sit with a fleece blanket wrapped around me.
5. Go to bed early at night, and stay in bed till the last possible minute in the mornings.
6. Keep telling myself that as soon as the sun decides to shine again it'll be much warmer, definitely by February at least.

Ok, ok I know, move off of being cold. I get no sympathy from you! :P

After two days of an oatmeal diet I finally was able to go to the store on Tuesday and get some yummy food. Not that oatmeal isn't yummy...it just seriously lacks in variety. Oh what's for breakfast? Oatmeal! How bout lunch? Oooooatmeal! Supper? oatmeal Breakfast? oatmeal? Lunch? Oat....nevermind, I think I'll pass.
So now I have variety again!
Two random Spanish tidbits I picked up while out: The ATM I needed was out of order. It ate my card, but thankfully the bank employees were still there and could laxitate the machine for me and then give me directions through the mall to where another Santander ATM was located. The man told me directions and then that it was outside of the store Ceas [at least in my head this is what I was picturing that I had heard (remember in Spanish sounds are pronounced individually, think S'eance without the n)] with a bunch of other ATMs. So I walked in the direction pointed out, turned the corner and there was Sears with a bunch of ATMs in front of it. I had never even thought of pronouncing Sears with a spanish accent before so I didn't recognize it. Then a bit later I was perusing the cans of Prego pasta sauces in WalMart trying to decide which would delight my palate the most. Behind me a lady asked her husband which salsa he wanted. That made me start. Thinking about it I guess that literally salsa means sauce so in English its Prego sauce in Spanish its Prego salsa. Even though I know that what Americans call salsa is not to be found in Mexico, I guess in my mind the term salsa still carries a bit of it's original Americanization for me.
I must go and buy some minutes for my phone now. There's supposedly a surprise birthday party/potluck happening tonight, but they who are planning have failed to plan. So I must figure out what's going on so I can study, run, prepare food, and still get there on time.

Hasta!


Now if someone would just invent an automatic page turner!

1 comment:

Kaleigh said...

aww...Christy Sue :) hope the suns starts to shine again soon! Love ya,
K