Saturday, August 16, 2008

Yo estoy escuchando a la musica de los vecinos.

I've actually got some stuff to write about for once so hold on to your pantalones.

We started cutting the cadavers yesterday. It took me a second before I could actually start. I mean, the man laying on the table in front of me had a name, had a life once upon a time. Once i got started it was no problem. One is so intent on the task ahead of them that peripheral peaks to the man's face cease and all of a sudden time's up.
Ironic thing though. When I got home, Rosa had some chicken for supper. It's not polite to use your hands so I picked up my knife and fork and hacked away for the second time that day. jaja! okay, that was a bit crude wasn't it? Please for give if I offended. It was certainly not intentional.

Today I had my CIAP course in the morning. We got the results from the psych exam we took during orientation. You know, the one's that told us we are all crazy for thinking we could do something like this :) My results kind of surprised me and I've got some disagreements, but for the most part it nailed me right on the head. I'm going to quote my favorite part for you.
"Their private reactions are often vivid and intense, and sometimes quite unpredictable to others. These private reactions seldom show in their faces, and even when dealing with a crisis, they can look calm and composed. Not until you know them very well do you discover that behind their outer calm they are looking at things from an intensely individual angle, often a delightfully humorous one."

So I started my PMC today. Went to the hospital, Hospital del Angel Leano (HAL). So apparently this hospital is out in the outskirts of the city, plus it's a teaching hospital so I saw a grand total of 2 patients. Oh well, I practiced some vitals and got to know some other UAG students and some of the doctors. Oh my word though. In general I am shocked at what I saw today. Shocked. The doctora that is supervising me is a mess. If I saw her on the street, not in a million years would I guess her to be a doctor. But most of all the whole drug situation was what really did it. Dra. Martinez opened the drug cabinet. Bags and boxes of drug samples just thrown in on the floors no organization whatsoever. Boxes old and smashed (given to the patients in that condition too). When Dra. Martinez couldn't find some drugs she was looking for she went over to her purse and started pulling out box after box of drugs. i mean what is she doing with all them? Handing them out to her friends......I wouldn't be surprised. To top it all off both Dr. Iberri and Dra. Martinez loaded their patients up with drugs. Dr. Iberri gave his patient about four prescriptions for a bit of acid reflux, probably the start of an ulcer. Dra. Martinez loaded her poor patient who couldn't even see well enough to read the boxes up with six different drugs. She's not going to remembering what she's supposed to do (being she can't even read the boxes let all the doctora's instructions) take the wrong one's at the wrong time and die. Either that or someone on the street will she her walking by, bag bulging with drugs and rob her. The whole time I'm thinking....what am I getting myself into?

Interesting and very ironic tidbit. The black market can be found on San Juan de Dios. Talk about polar opposites. My friend had her side mirrors stolen off her car and was wondering where she could find them again.


Well, I'm going to stop cuz I want to sleep before i have to get up. No that's an exaggeration, but it's been a long day and I want to sleep. Got lots of thinking and mentally planning to do.

Hasta!

No comments: