Thursday, March 6, 2014

Estoy darme cuenta la importancia de comunicacion.

I know the importance of communication.  I know it, but that doesn't change the fact that I would really rather avoid it.  For example, it can take, at times, excessively long for me to make a simple phone call.  If given the option to email versus make a phone call, in the past, I'd immediately go the way of the email.  If I were to analyze it....in writing I can figure out what I want to say and how I want to say it before I actually say it.  If communicating verbally, the mouth is open and before I can figure out what I want to say syllables are tripping on each other on their way out.  In short, I'm much less likely to make a fool of myself in writing...although, I suppose, even writing isn't fool-proof.

Anyways, I say 'in the past' not because my verbal communication skills are improving, but because people don't always respond to emails or even texts.  So, you have to call.  Or, even more efficient, you have to go knock on their door.  Communication is vital when working on a team.  I know this.  And yet, I still failed, a really rather embarrassing fail caused by my own lack of communication. 

Last Thursday, Marini brought it to our attention that an important deadline for abstracts was Saturday.  He wanted an abstract from me for something I am working on with a Neurosurgeon.  Trouble was the Neurosurgeon and I had never formally talked about when we'd ever put this particular research into an abstract for submission.  So I took care of that communication ASAP, the knocking-on-the-door/face-to-face kind of communication.  Put together an abstract and presented it at the research meeting that afternoon. Marini had two things for me after that. 1) Change the patient inclusion data  - which would change all of our results, so it had to be refigured. 2) If the abstract was accepted who was presenting -  Which I hadn't thought of prior so simply agreed with Marini that the Neurosurgeon would as he was first author.  I figured I could just clear it with him later.  Well, Priority was #1 so I worked on that first and told myself I'd get to #2 before I left, which....never happened.  And then I had the HBOT class for 5 days.  And then I kept making excuses for not following through with #2.  And then it was the Thursday research meeting again.  Marini comes in, sits down and informs me that he had talked with the Neurosurgeon that morning who 1) had been unaware that he was listed as presenter and 2) had no intention of going through with such a presentation should the abstract be accepted.  I did the only thing I could do.  I took immediate responsibility for the lack of communication.

Thankfully, what could potentially have been a rather severe reprimand somehow turned into a joke instead.  About an hour later when the Neurosurgeon joined the meeting, the subject was revisited and the joke continued providing everyone with laughs once again.  If I joined in with the laughing at all it was very nervous laughing. I still can't quite comprehend how they laughed, when it was such an obvious failure on my part.  I do know that I can't let it happen again.

Communication People!!! 

Hasta!

No comments: