Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Estoy desalentada.

From Turkey: Kazim.  Medical doctor in the Turkish military, rank of major.  Sent to the US for a year, paid for by the Turkish govt to 1) learn English and 2) do research.   #1 is definitely gonna have to be the priority for a while yet at least.  When I first met Kazim he couldn't even respond to the common English greeting of "How are you?" He had responded to my question with a blank stare and then just shook his head yes and said hello again. But in just two weeks he's already shown some improvement.  Still a ways to go before he could really be productive asset to the research team, but he'll get there.  I feel for him in the meantime.  He sits in the corner pouring over some reading translating word by word.  Once in awhile he'll randomly break out in song.  Caught me so off-guard the first time, my laugh was already audible before I could stifle it.

From Mexico: Daniel. Got his PhD in London before returning to Mexico and starting his surgical residency.  Only with the research team for another week!  Kind of fun to have another Mexican around to gang up on Argentina with! :) 

Hasta!

No comments: