Monday, July 1, 2013

Yo estoy ensenando.

I thought I'd eventually get the hang of this research thing.  It's been a whole month and yet I drive to the hospital every morning not having a clue what I'm going to be doing that day.  Keeps things interesting!

On Friday, Dr. Blood had me sit in while he "interviewed" a med student who wants to help with research.  Then this morning after M&M (morbidity&mortality) Dr. Blood had to leave for the day so gave me the student's phone number telling me to meet up with him and tell him what to do.  "Sure, Dr. Blood!  No problem!"  I did not go on to remind him that there has yet been anyone to actually tell me what to do.  Eventually met up with the student in medical records and got him started.  And a bit of a rough start it was.  Every two seconds he was asking me another question.  I'll admit it, I started losing patience.  But caught myself, and chided myself remembering that I too would have appreciated someone to whom I could have asked questions on my first chart as well.

The front clerk in med records is super helpful, and today I needed to solicit some of his help.  Unfortunately, I started the conversation with..."I have a message for you from Dr. Blood."  He busted up laughing.  Whoops!   And that's why Dr. Blood introduces himself as Vinny to everyone.

One of the projects I'm working on is looking at penetrating cardiac injuries.  Today I came across the second case in the study of a nail gun to the left chest.  Really people?!?! a nail gun?!?!  Both had been suicide attempts.  One patient was incarcerated and so I can understand a nail gun being his only option.  But the other one?!?!  There's hand guns, shotguns, daggers, carving knives.  There's even swords out there.  But this guy takes the effort to put multiple nails in his chest, none of course creating the intended result.  If you can find the strength to do something like that, then you're stronger than you think, and I just don't understand why you even attempted in the first place.

Hasta!

No comments: