Monday, June 3, 2013

Yo estoy siguiendo.

I had the unpleasant experience of cell phone fraud this past weekend.  As I understand it now (as explained by the nice lady in the verizon fraud dept.) someone had gained access to My Verizon, removed my device from the account replacing it with their own device, and then proceeded to make multiple calls to Cuba.  The lady explained the 'fraudster' commonly sells these phones to immigrants who use them to call home.  I sincerely hope those calls to Cuba were worth it.  That they were able to talk to every single member of their family before the calls were noticed and the account hotlined.  Because as I was rendered accessless for the weekend, I'd feel better about it if it wasn't for nothing.  And also if anyone tried calling/texting this past weekend and couldn't get me.....it's cause someone was calling Cuba.

The most interesting part of not having service on my phone was not having my GPS to guide me.  I would not have considered driving between the Deerhaunt and CT as 'down pat' just yet evidenced by hidden stop signs that would jump out at me as I'd drive right by, and accidental exits. I was most anxious to discover just how lost I could get driving through the forrest of the Hudson Valley.  In the end, though I couldn't use the GPS, I realized I could still access the maps and view my current location.  And that's how I got home Sunday night. Instead of being told step by step, I just followed the map.  Worked well.

On the other hand, this morning drive did not go as well.  My phone still had no service.  So I needed a phone other than mine to call Verizon.  And I had to get it done before 8:30 when I was supposed to text Dr. Blood.  So making it from the Deerhaunt to the hospital this morning involved wrong turns, but made it eventually and used the phone at the PreInternship Office.  In the end, I didn't make it by 8:30, but neither did Dr. Blood. :)

Feels good to be back in a hospital again!  And this time I don't have a student ID. It's a really good feeling!

Hasta!

No comments: