Sunday, March 3, 2013

Yo estoy con mis papas.

I've started this post twice already.  Once Friday morning in my car just after crossing into Ohio...



 "Been truckin along, through snow flurries galore, just Jesus, me and the open road.  Even Pennsylvania passed in a blink.  And then I entered Ohio, switched interstates (mainly to skip the tolls on I-80) and was greeted with standstill traffic. Within minutes of putting my car into park a fire truck passed by, followed thereafter by a cop car both with lights ablaze.  I fear there is an accident just ahead of me."

And then once again Saturday morning

"Those five sentences were all that I managed before we started moving again.  In the end we’d only been waiting 30 minutes (I wasn’t writing the whole time).  Now I’m in Indiana at the Beers.  Little Tucker is walking and drooling like crazy, full of smiles.  I’ll have lots of pictures later when I am reunited with my camera cord.  I’m so thankful I was able to leave a day early and spend a real visit with Regg and Bev .  Right now I’m waiting for Tucker to wake up, then on the road again!"

Now it is Sunday evening and I guess I should probably stop starting posts and actually finish one.  Tomorrow Lord willing I get to see my nephew!!

A couple of factors went into my decision to take this coming week as my vacation week the main being that it was to be the last of an eight week Internal Medicine rotation.  I thought 8 weeks would be too long for something as slow moving and boring as IM.  Cutting the last week off for vacation would leave me with just 7 weeks. To help me pass those 7 weeks, waking up each morning I would consciously make the decision to enjoy the opportunities allotted me that day and to learn.  Granted some mornings that decision was a bit more difficult than others, but nevertheless in the end it was a choice to make.  Standing at the end of those 7 weeks I must confess that I am happy to be proved wrong.  I ended up enjoying my rotation through IM, and it went rather quickly especially considering it was about double what I've been used to.  It was often still boring, but I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of case load that we encountered interspersed throughout the diabetics and COPDers keeping things interesting.

Two parting thoughts from IM:

Working with diabetics really makes one appreciate a properly working pancreas.
"I love my pancreas!"  ~ Binaya

"Alcohol is a preservative, unfortunately not of the brain!"   ~ Dr. Tamarin

Hasta!
 

No comments: