Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Yo estoy buscando las estrellas.

Visited a friend over in Jersey last week.  Got to catch Manhattan from across the Hudson before the twilight faded out.

Pretty amazing view!  But don't let it fool you.  Can't really see the stars with all that light going on!

From my trips into the city, I've sort of been collecting one-liners.  Little sayings that I hear in passing.  For example:
"What's cookin' good-lookin?"
I just about cracked up laughing when I overheard that one, mainly because it seemed so out of place.  That is something they would saw back home, not here in the big city.  And it just made me really happy to hear it being said.  
Shortly after hearing the above line I heard the following by a guy talking on his cell.
"So...if I wanted to call in a bomb threat..."
And I just had to shake my head at the contrast between the two.  Just so random!

This past Saturday Marcy Bahler and Carly Bahler came to spend the day in the city with me.  It was Marcy's birthday!!! Here's a few pictures from our day!

Our first stop of the day (after Starbuck's ;) was The Merchant's House Museum.  But unfortunately we were too early so our first stop then became Washington Square.  We sat on the fountain listening to the the piano player and watching the pigeons, and the people. It was an absolutely beautiful day, and I was so content to just sit in the sun and enjoy the atmosphere for awhile.  I took a video, but forgot to upload it before starting to blog.

While sitting on the fountain another one-liner got added to my list.  A few kids were riding their bikes around and around the fountain.  One chasing the other.  Round and round.  During one pass, the second yelled up at his friend, "We're going in a straight line!"

The Merchant's House!
The Merchant’s House Museum is New York City’s only family home preserved intact — inside and out — from the 19th century. Built in 1832 it was home to a prosperous merchant family for almost 100 years.  Complete with the family’s original furnishings and personal possessions, the house offers a rare and intimate glimpse of domestic life in New York City from 1835-1865.
 
 The Front Parlor Room! 

 Servant's bedroom. The only such place in New York City open to the public and is arguably the oldest intact site of Irish habitation in Manhattan.

 The call bell. 

 Hand carved banister

 Bee-hive oven

  Max Brenner's!  Me, Marcy, Carly

 Came upon a small flea market on Broadway.  We found yarn!  Marcy

 It was sooooo soft! Carly

One more photo at Times Square.  Carly, Marcy, Me

Hasta!

No comments: