Thursday, December 9, 2010

Yo estoy lista para la navidad!

Guess who's coming home for Christmas!!!!! Me! That's who! With a capital Y, Capital O, YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are six of us currently at our specific IMSS hospital completing our guardias. Without us saying anything, on the very first day, the doctora in charge. Asked us how we would feel about finishing early, and then went on to tell us that they'd do what they could to see that we'd be able to be home for Christmas. Nothing was said after that and we went on our way and got settled into our rotations for the week. Then today us pre-internados (a.k.a. pre-intern students) were called together for a meeting. Lots of importants things were discussed...you know, things like posada! But I couldn't believe my ears when our date of release was decided. It is absolutely amazing how superb my schedule turns out when I am not in control of it!
- Posada is a Christmas tradition in Mexico. Basically lots of food and fiesta making. Us international students are going to be hosting a posada for all the doctors! I'm really looking forward to experiencing my first posada (although I'm sure it'll have an American twist to it!)

I was scolded today during our meeting. The doctora went over what is "family medicine" which led her to talking about family, and directing her attention at us females addressed the difficulties of juggling medicine with having a family. But after this, I forget what exactly the topic was, but she asked us for our relationship status. When I replyed that not only was I not married, but that I didn't even have a boyfriend, I got scolded! Apparently I should not be single! Oh dear, I was a bit flabbergasted. I didn't bother with responding.

This week at the IMSS I've been in rehab. basically, fractures, sprains, post-surgeries, etc... It's easy enough that by today I was handling patients on my own. Honestly, I'm a bit bummed as rehab is the most boring of all the possible rotations, but either way, I'll learn what I can and be thankful for fact that I am able to be there.

Hasta!

2 comments:

Amber said...

That's so great that you get to come home! How long will you be up here? :)

-amber

Anonymous said...

YAY!! You are coming home!!!! I am just a little bit excited! :) - K