Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Yo estoy caminando por una Winter Wonderland.

Saturday in Ixtlan we went Christmas caroling (or in my case, more like Christmas croaking)and afterwards we celebrated Jan's birthday. Marshall built a lovely fire in the fireplace of Bethesda (the guesthouse). I had brought the rest of my banana bread and a bag of bunuelos to share. Between the two of us, Bev and I clearly decided that pineapple atole is not the best choice of beverage(especially when compared to Abuelita Hot Chocolate). and my last weekend in Ixtlan for the year 2010 came to an end. My drive back to GDL Sunday was probably more on the Mexican style of driving. I think I it was finally hitting home that I was headed North the very next day!!!!!

All last week I had made myself tackle one cleaning job a day. Doesn't seem like a lot, but really, there's not much involved when it comes to cleaning my apartment. (Taking that into consideration, you'd think I'd actually clean more often than I do!)Due to that, and after giving my floors a good mopping Sunday evening, there was no cleaning for me to do Monday morning. I just had to pack. I underwent a hair straightening as well being as it's much easier to travel with straight hair. It made me smile this year as I remembered my friends in the past complaining that I didn't value them enough to straighten my hair for them. I only straightened it to go home. And then I stopped smiling realizing that all of those friends are no longer with me. They've all moved away from GDL for some reason or other.

I'd made arraingements last week with a taxi driver for a ride to the airport. Talking to the driver last week I never actually told him my address. I just asked him if he would be available on Monday to drive me and that I lived on Seris. He replied with Seris? Oh yes, the yellow building! I've seen your car!" Boy, that made me feel unsafely stalkable!!!! But either way, at least he was ready and waiting for me even before our decided upon time, and I was off on my way home.

I have to be honest. Landing in Chicago last night and seeing the snow I was scared. I didn't want to leave the plane and find out if I could handle the cold or not. Thankfully it hasn't been too bad so far, but then again I've stayed inside so far. Inside with central heating, and carpet, and nice cozy warmness. Mom, Dad, I fear you have forever extinguished any desire I'd ever have for 5 star comfort. Who needs 5 stars when I get luxury for free at home!!!! Thank you!

Hasta!

No comments: