Monday, November 8, 2010

Yo estoy segura.

It's been a week because I haven't had time to blog, and so now stories have been piling up one on top of the other that I fear those now at the bottom of the pile will never be told and soon long forgotten. How sad.

I'm blogging today, however not because I have time but because what happened today it too big to ignore.

I've never related any stories about the growing drugs wars in Mexico simply because to never talk about them helps me to not really consider them as a problem myself. But, reality is....they are becoming a bigger problem.

Shortened version of today's events concerning shootings at Hospital Dr. Angel Leano.
- last night a shot and wounded Narco was taken to HAL for care.
- Today offending enemies returned to finish the deed and HAL was caught in the crossfire.
- HAL was completely shut down and entrances to and from the hospital closed denying entrance and exit.
- Mexican army arrived to sweep the area

There's a lot more details that I heard throughout the day but as most stories amongst innocent bystanders are...just rumors, so I won't relate them.
When we finally were able to leave my friend said that seeing all the soldiers as we left was what finally made the experience real for her. For me it was hearing the ballade of bullets. My California classmates brag that they're used to drive-by shootings, but being from the middle of a corn-field myself I guess you could say I've had somewhat of a different upbringing. It was really interesting to experience this in the age of communication that we are living in now. People were updating their facebook statuses the second stuff started happening. News bulletins were being broadcast with updates that friends not at HAL would watch and call us letting us know what the News knew. At first when people started texting and calling asking if we were all right, we were all like "How on earth do they know?" Some of my classmates had fun answering those questions....which I'm sure didn't help a slur of rumors from being started, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, I've still got much to do tonight, and I'm tired already, but I thought that since there is a very very slight chance this might make some US news stations tomorrow I should at least mention it.

I'll end with a question:
Who's stupider? the Narcos? or those that make the existence of the Narcos possible?

Hasta!

yes, Dad I just caught myself...I ment "more stupid"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christy!! I'll be praying for your safety! Love you, girl!

Amy