Saturday, November 20, 2010

Yo estoy orando para ti.

Amazing thing happened this Friday. We weren't assigned any write-ups. Honestly, I think it's more that the doctors are getting tired and wanting a break, but I'll take it. It cut my workload for this weekend down much, I'll actually have time to devote to simply studying! That feels good!

Jennifer and I completed our off-campus practicas last week, but this week our classmates (who were at the Psych hosptial) would report back to us that all the patients would ask about and talk about "Christy y Jennifer." It's always nice to be remembered!

By the way, I have to admit that I have never in my life more associated myself with my roots than I did last week at the psych hospital. They want to know where I'm from, do I speak German, etc, etc, etc...
And for the second time ever (both occurring here in GDL) someone came up to me and asked me if I was from Germany. Not even if I was from the United States, but they went straight to Germany. I guess when I'm 4 quarters German it's good that I appear like it. I've just never had a group of people so fascinated by the fact that I have German roots before. I guess I can add "the German girl" to my list of names that I'm called.

Also speaking of names, here in Mexico, Christy is a nickname for Christina, so when I introduce myself they automatically assume that my name is Christina. I just repeat that it's just Christy and there's no problem. But last week at the psych hospital that happened and when I repeated "it's just Christy" the guy responded with "oh, Christy...like a little girl." Oh brother. As much as I don't like Christina maybe I'll just let it go from now on.

Psychiatry is a lot of talking. The majority of the patients we see one on one, just need to talk. They've got a lot of unloading to do. When we are normally one on one with the interned patients we got about 2 hours with them. In Psychiatry there's a total possible 8 hours that we could spend with each patient. We never actually use all 8 hours, but it just shows how much of a different approach to medicine is required by Psychiatry.
However, because of all this talking and conversing going on I've hit a point where I have to say i need a Spanish break. I don't want to talk in Spanish, I don't want to listen in Spanish, read, write or think in Spanish. If I can push through this point and keep up the Spanish, I might actually find I've finally improved some. But right now, don't feel too much like pushing.

Hasta!

No comments: