Monday, November 15, 2010

Yo estoy respirando. (8:00 AM)

There's no hospital today! I am so thankful for a chance to breathe again. The 20th is Mexico's 100 yr anniversary of the Mexican revolution....We're just celebrating it on the 15th instead.

This morning I'm taking off with a few friends and we are going to go hiking just North of the city. I really should be studying for the exam I have this week, but honestly I feel the short break and the increase flow of smog-free oxygen to the brain will do me more good than a few extra hours cramped up in my cold apartment studying.

Two weeks ago we started our Psychiatry rotation. Everyone from previous semesters had told us something along the lines of...It's the easiest rotation of 5th semester...Oh, Psych is no problem... It's a breeze. After day one we were in disbelief as to how Psych could have ever been considered easy. What we had unfortunately just discovered is that the Psych program is used to having between 60 - 80 students which they split up into two groups of 30-40. There are a mere 20 of us taking this Psych rotation, split into two groups of 10. However the curriculum was not adjusted accordingly meaning we each individually have been blessed with double to triple the normal work load. Another reason why I can justify hiking this morning...I've done nothing but Psych research for the past two weeks!

The psych rotation also includes two off campus psych practicas (sorry, couldn't think of an English word at the moment). Normally the students are in a group of about 20 and even then we'd heard stories to make us nervous. Due to our class size it was just me and another girl doing these extra rotations together. We didn't know what to expect and were a bit apprehensive about being locked in a room with a bunch of crazy guys. A little example of what I was nervous about...On our first day at the Psych hospital we were being given a tour, upon entering one of the courtyards we heard "guera! guera! guera!" and a few of the residents running at us from across the courtyard. Oh dear! but in the end, our whole rotation was really amazing! I can't really share my crazy stories via blog because the vast majority of them involve actions and must be seen to understand. Crazy people are fascinating.

I must go hiking now... To Be Continued.

No comments: