Saturday, August 25, 2018

Estoy jugando juegos.

The Dean of Graduate Medical Education at WMC requested a meeting with us residents the other day. He presented himself as a friend and the meeting as a way for him to understand the current issues at hand from a surgical perspective (pediatric cardiologist himself). That's all well and good, I can appreciate his efforts. But he asked who we would turn to for advice, and without hesitation, general consensus was , 'our co-residents'.

The other day my patient flipped me the bird, and I took it as the best sign I could possibly get from her. I left her room laughing and encouraged. My co-residents would understand.

The other night, I was finally about to head home when a message was sent out to the resident group text that a procurement was happening, and without thinking twice I responded "I'll go," securing my spot in the transport and across the table from my Attending at the harvest. I knew it would mean no sleep that night and forfeiting the one opportunity I would have had in weeks to get a full nights rest. It was worth it. My co-residents would understand.

As medicine has so drastically changed over the years, our Attendings can't even really relate to how various constraints, such as work hour limitations and emr requirements, impact our education, our responsibilities and our division of time. We understand that, and respect that.

Therefore dear dean we responded as such. We want to be taught to operate. We want to take care of our patients. But with the limitations and requirements of the medical infrastructure in place today, we often feel like the system is working against us. And, well, my co-residents understand that.

Meeting of the minds in the trauma bay. Vasu, Shekhar, Adi, Ansab

Social Events: The saddest thing is that there can never, ever be a social event where everyone can come. We cover the hospital 24/7/365. So we join when able or wait for the next time. 
Game Night! Hanjoo, Faisal, Muhammad, Monica, Agon, Alex, Michelle, James

 Chinese bbq and dumplings at Niu's! Asad, Jacob, James, Adi, Alex

Chinese bbq and dumplings at Niu's! Kevin (Niu's son), me, Ansab, Jacob, Asad, Alex

We make surgery residency look easy!! :)


Much Love.

No comments: