Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Estoy enfocando dentro de mi.

I have been having multiple conversations recently on the topic of the choice of surgery. Expected conversation with medical students.  In a way, that is not only expected, but encouraged as they are typically watching everything we as residents do and subconsciously asking themselves... could I do that or would I like to do that one day? As they near the time to make the decision for themselves, whether radiology, psychiatry or surgery, I encourage them to first answer their own why.

But it’s not just the medical students, a handful of my co-residents have been struggling as well. Sometimes, our whys will change, and that’s okay. It’s allowed. Sometimes we have multiple whys, which is also okay. There are no rules. But when we don’t identify the change or simply lose focus of who we are and then hard times hit, it is just that much harder to hold on without our feet firmly planted. Do residents talk about giving up? Of course. But that’s why we have each other. We’ll get through this together. I’m thankful that for the most part, our family of residents are open with struggles and accepting of any needed encouragement and/or pep talk. I know none of us actually want to quit, they just need reminding of that fact from time to time.

When love, hope and peace seem to be in shorter supply... I know it’s time for a vacation again. Need that reminder that people in general are good and caring, and that the world holds so much more than this small corner, and one day I will be able to help.
I like to look at my medical students and pray that each one goes on to achieve great things. Knowing that by helping them, I will then some day be able to have remotely helped the world through them as well.

Much Love.

No comments: