Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Estoy estudiando.


The other day I took my cardboard/paper recyclables down to the recycle bin in the basement of my building. I was rewarded with a satisfactory feeling of accomplishment. So satisfactory the feeling was, that it lasted the whole day. I had successfully completed just one small mundane act and whew!.... was flying high! Could have happily slept the rest of the day, but don’t worry, I got my studying for the day done as well.

Speaking of studying, I expressed to one of my attendings the other day my concern for our ability as surgery residents to be able to afford the time to study adequately in order to boost our ABSITE scores. The general goal of any surgery program, includes to some varying level (depending on the program) preparing its residents to take the boards upon graduation. The yearly ABSITE helps gauge how well the residents are doing, a.k.a. how well the program is teaching its residents. New study methods or education techniques are implemented each year towards this effort.  This year however, research requirements have been implemented. Research is necessary in medicine.  Many programs have an entire year built in during which a specific resident will do nothing but research. We are not currently that type of program, therefore research is added on top of what we already have asked of us. Can we do it? Yes, of course we can. However, it will unfortunately come at the cost of what scarce study time we had. And hence, my concern for our ability to improve our ABSITE scores this year. 

Maybe this all leads to my inflated feeling of accomplishment for something as simple as taking out the recyclables. With a ‘To Do’ list that is seemingly never-ending, it is something that I can check off with a job well done. Never underestimate the value of small attainable goals.

Much Love.

No comments: