Monday, December 5, 2016

Estoy practicando cirugía plástica.

Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
I wasn't but one hour into my first day of the rotation December 1st, and had come to the conclusion that I can not be a Plastic Surgeon.
Not that I had ever really seriously considered it, but at the same time could not deny that I liked the reconstructive stuff, the creativity required to make something look pretty again.
But alas, without going into detail, I shall not be a Plastic surgeon.
That being said... this month is proving to be absolutely amazing! I am loving the surgeries. Seeing the surgeries. Discussing the surgeries. Doing the surgeries. All of the above.

At Westchester, Plastics alternates taking hand consults with orthopedics. And then it alternates taking facial trauma consults with ENT surgery and OMFS (oxillo maxillofacial surgery). This past weekend it so happened that Plastics was taking both Hand and Face call simultaneously. And it so happened that I was first call for Plastics Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Now, my basic understanding of both hand and face consists of simple anatomy and physiology that I learned back in med school. Which translates into... I know nothing. I am doing my best to learn fast. The weekend was intense. Two of the three nights I didn't get home until 3am. and even home I'm still on call. No chance of a nights rest because the pager goes off multiple times. Gave me a little bit of appreciation for being a resident, and that when I go home, I can be all there.

I am having so much fun though. I got to reduce my first broken nose. A guy got his finger caught in a wood chopper, and I got to piece it back together. A man had the palm of his hand completely in full-thickness avulsion, and I got to put it back on. A girl's face was attacked by a pit bull, and I got to make it looking like a face once again. And then a whole slew of smaller things in between.

Thankfully, they don't leave me on Plastics first call by myself. I have a fellow back up if I need it. Most of the time I could just text my plan for their approval or their advice.

There's so many things I want to see yet before the month is past. Certain special plastics closure would be so helpful to have in my bag of tricks, and then of course things like reducing broken noses or dislocated fingers as well!  We'll see how it goes!

Much Love.

No comments: