Monday, November 7, 2016

Estoy tratando ayudar.

I was on call this past Saturday. It's always a rough time, sometimes worse than others. It didn't help this time that one of my co-interns called his chief at 04:30 am in hysterics. He was about to break, no longer trusted himself with the care of any patient, grabbed his bag and left. It left the rest of us to scramble to cover all of his patients. It's all about prioritizing, and just never stopping.

The weekend passed. Those who needed it took a moment to breathe. I know that I left the hospital Saturday night, wanting to go home and sleep, but drove to CT instead. I just really needed to be with my people on Sunday.  And we all came back today for another day, another week.

In between taking care of my kids I go over to the main hospital and check-in with my co-intern. Get through some pending paperwork for a patient's discharge, whatever he needs. And really just to make sure his head is still attached and he's aware of his feet still under him. It's going to be one day at a time for a little while here.

Watching someone go through these struggles, really renews my caution at encouraging any student towards surgery. It's not fun to watch someone panicking and question their entire life's choices and ability to even continue on. And especially this year, because we did loose an intern last year, I don't want it to become a trend.

Much Love.


No comments: