Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Estoy despertando cada mañana como nuevo.

Two individuals. Two surgeries. Two teams. One place. One time. 

My chief assisted one Attending, while standing across the table looking in the opposite direction yet with the exact same view, I stood assisting another Attending. We started the surgery off. We were just the beginning of a day long surgery to separate a pair of twins conjoined at the hip. My Attending and I worked on Blue Baby while at the exact same time my chief worked on Pink Baby. Probably the second time laparoscopic surgery was completed simultaneously on a pair of conjoined twins in the history of the world. The babies took it like a champ... or champs! ;) 

At one point of the surgery my Attending looks up from Blue baby and mentions. "You know... we went through residency, through fellowship, and as an Attending had to work to get here. What did you guys do? You just woke up this morning." 
His point being, that we are two incredibly blessed residents to be in the right rotation at the right time to have an opportunity like this simply handed to us, but there's actually a lot to be said for that. 

There's a lot to be said for simply waking up in the morning. Because once you wake up, you can then choose to get up, and then, to move forward. And who knows what the new day holds for you? If we don't get up in the morning, we'll never find out.

Isaiah 43:19 Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall he not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. 

My heart is so full right now! There are times when I get to my car at night and take off for home and finally release which ever emotion I've been tamponading all day. Most often it's a cheer, a shot of joy at something new I got to do, or a beautiful surgery I got to witness. Today, "a cheer" didn't come close to covering it. 

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning!

Much Love.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a neat opportunity, Christy! So excited that you got to be there! And you did more than just wake up that morning, you've put in lots of years of hard, diligent work to get there!

love and prayers,
Anita