Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Yo estoy preguntandome.

I finally, and very excitedly I might add, was able to go back into the city last Saturday.  Met with Vero.  Then later in the day met up with Christine.

 I sat up against the wall at Grand Central Terminal.  I had my book open as if I was reading, but no words are needed in a hub like Grand Central where so many stories are coming to an intersection.  Running to catch a train...why are they late? where are they going?  A family speaking French....vacation? why in October?  She almost got ran over, even though the workers were honking....has the constant soundtrack of New York desensitized her? What is she reading?


 




We discussed opinions on when to give money on the street versus not to give.  The man with a rope and a bucket of soapy water, making amorphous bubbles three times the size of the little ones running around after them shrieking with pure childlike joy?  The old man floating melodies from a saxophone? 



He climbed right up there.  Right up on top of Alice's head.  :)



We hurriedly crowded onto the subway in attempts to grab a seat.  I wanted to hug the unkempt homeless man I found myself next too.  For no other reason than I was happy to be sharing part of my day with him.
  

While perusing the work of Christopher Wool at the Guggenheim I was struck by how thickly Art and Psychology are intertwined.  An artist's regression is applauded and described as "a surge of euphoric energy and a violent visual expletive" (see above). 
 

We stayed till they kicked us out!

I wonder if this city would have given me the same energy had I come at a different stage of my life.  I wonder if subconsciously I've choosen to romanticize how I view the city because I'm holding onto the hope of possibilites that such a place offers.  For where there are people, there is collaboration, there is possibility.  I wonder such things.  And then I smile.  For I know had I come at a different time.....it'd be no different.

"In New York,
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,
There's nothing you can't do,
Now you're in New York,
These streets will make you feel brand new,
The lights will inspire you,
Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York"
Alicia Keys - Empire State of Mind


Hasta!

No comments: