Thursday, April 11, 2013

Yo estoy empezando.

When I moved to New York, I was taken aback.  I thought I liked city living, but this place was beyond huge.  It makes Chicago look small.  I had never seen anything like it before.  New York City is so big that if split up into its five principal Burroughs, Queens alone is big enough that it would be the third largest city in the US.  And the people; so many people!  Citizens from all 208some nations world-wide live in NYC, more than even are represented by the UN.  Providing diversity enough to make your eyes bug, and your jaw drop.  Seriously, from the last four hippies on Occupy Wall Street, to the Jews populating the diamond district, to the Naked Cowboy in Times Square, to Lady Liberty herself.... people by the millions and yet each so individually interesting.  Just as it is the city that never sleeps; it is the city that seemingly never ends. 

It has grown on me.  The more I went into the city.  The more I saw of NYC. The more I explored. The more I became comfortable with where I was.  And it has indeed grown on me.  I've grown to really like it here in New York.  Even with its less than desirable weather, and more than desirable prices. 

I would have been sad to leave, and move on to the next place just as I've always been.  Sad to leave yet excited for the next place.  My program ends in May, and yet there is work for me to do here in New York.  For the time being I'm to remain right here. Well...not literally.  I'll have to find a new place I suppose, but right here as in NY, Westchester County, TriState Area, etc...  I'll be doing research.  And via said research, getting my name on publications, making connections and networking.  This was one of the main areas lacking in my CV (two years of unpublished research in Mexico doesn't quite cut it in the US). 

So is my work in New York not yet finished, or is New York's work on me not yet finished?  Either way God still has something in store for me here.  No pressure....who am I kidding.  I'm feeling a lot of pressure.  Granted I'm putting it on myself, but there's no room to mess anything up now.  I suppose I should make it a practice to stop at regular intervals throughout my day, to close my eyes, and remind myself not to live by sight.

Praising God for His faithfulness. 
Philippians 4:19  But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Hasta

5 comments:

Heidi B said...

YAY!!! You're staying! (for a little while anyways:)

Sarah said...

I agree!! Yay!! :)

Amber said...

Thankful to see God's direction for you! Can't wait to hear more about your research! :)

Marcy said...

Dios es bueno!!!
Beyond excited!!!!! I'm so thankful that God opened this way for you. Many prayers have been answered including those for you to stay a little longer out East ;)
Con ganas de pasar más tiempo con usted! Love you-Marcy

Anonymous said...

Christy Marie,
We are so thankful that you will be "in the neighborhood" for a while longer. You have made our life here in the NYCity area so much more pleasant. You have been a blessing to Kevin and I. Thankful to have you as part of the Rockville congregation also, cousin!
Cheryl