Thursday, April 18, 2013

Yo estoy andando.

Scrubbed into a hysterectomy case this morning.  She was a big lady.  She blamed her weight on her uterus and was under the impression that in the time we were back in the OR she was going to magically lose 30 lbs.  As we were rolling her back from pre-op to the OR she was talking about the deal McDonald's had yesterday.  BigMacs, 2 for the price of 1.  So of course she had gotten 4 for the price of 2.  I think she's in for a rude awakening.

I need to make a confession about something.
When I'm in clinic and call a patient back to an exam room, first question I ask them is usually English or Espanol?  I know most of them are going to be Spanish speaking, and I don't mind.  I actually prefer to have them because I want the practice.  But a tiny part of me, asks because I'm curious of how they will answer.  Those answering, "uhh English little...not good."  We can then smile and move on.  I can understand that, they prefer their native language, no problem.  Like I mentioned, works favorably for me because I want the Spanish practice.   In their response they told me a lot about themselves, they at least try, willing to attempt to work with me if need be.  But once in awhile I'll get a flat, "no ingles."  We then move on....but it's without a smile.   That tiny part of me, almost immediately judges them.  And when they pause in responding to me even in Spanish, that part of me hopes it's because they're somewhat embarrassed.  We both know that they know English, enough at least to say "English little...not good."  And their refusal at least meet me there, quite frankly turns me off.  I'll go all the way to them, as I do with all the Spanish speakers, just not as willingly as had they first offered to meet me halfway.
I don't like that little part of me.  If we were in Mexico this would not be an issue for me.  So why should it here?  I suppose the best way for me to avoid this is to change my first question. 

Went hiking in CT this past weekend.  Hiked up Soapstone.
Up the last bit to the tower on the top. That red dot in the center is Bekah.

Perhaps not the best time of year for a pretty view.  But the weather was actually quite perfect for hiking. And it was clear that we could see for miles.  

Hasta!

No comments: