Saturday, February 2, 2013

Yo estoy esperando.

I would say this week was perhaps a bit more interesting.  Primarily due to all the crazies landing on our patient list.  How we got so lucky I have no idea.  One such patient came into the ED because he couldn't catch his breath.  His belly was so blown up, so pretuberant not only could he hardly breathe but he could hardly move.  When I saw him for the first time he was sitting on the side of his bed.  When he was attempting to lay back for his belly to be seen, a few times I half feared he was going to fall forward out of the bed instead of back into the bed.  He eventually made it on his back though.  The fact that this man had allowed his abdomen to become in that state in the first place without seeking treatment should have clued us in....hellooooo not in the proper state of mind this one!!!  When the initial tap of this man's abdomen was done 5.5 L of fluid came off, and further ultrasound showed much more remaining.  However, the patient could then breath and walk again and his true colors shown through.  He was paranoid of everything, belligerent and completely inappropriate in his interactions with anyone and everyone.  You'd knock in the morning and enter the room just to be met by a string of profanity.  You'd eventually make your escape only to be followed by a bellowing unkempt individual (at this point smelling way beyond pleasant) into the hallway and all the way to the nurse's station where he'd continue on his rant disrupting hospital life the whole way.  The worst part of this situation is we as medical care providers were stuck between a rock and a hard place.  This patient without a doubt needs inpatient psychiatric care.  However, any such care facility would refuse his transfer as he's not medically stable.  But we couldn't get him medically stabilized because he was noncompliant in everything from taking meds to going for tests.  He wouldn't let us do anything for him, but he wouldn't leave either.  I'm not on call this weekend, and am very curious whether he'll still be there waiting for me Monday or not.

I had a couple of dreams this week.  One I was getting my hair trimmed and a couple of inches got wacked off instead.  I think I cried.  That's actually happened a couple of times this particular hair growing, it's probably set me back a good 4 inches if not more.  And so the idea of that happening again....not happy.  I had originally thought that this summer I'd be good to donate again, and I haven't measured yet, but I'm willing to bet I'm probably a good 4 inches short.  Sigh!
The second one was a crazy crazy dream.  My alarm woke me and I was so disoriented took awhile to realize it was my alarm.  I finally gathered my sense of self enough to hit the snooze and 2 seconds later there was nothing.  Not even a shred of the dream left behind, only the sense that I had lost something great.

Sunrise from my apartment one morning.  One thing about the sunrise in New York.  It's pure gold!  I would have never called a sunrise golden before, that's more an adjective saved for the sunset.  But in NY, it's a rich liquid gold that just flows and engulfs the city bringing a new day with it!  (Of course my picture doesn't do it justice!)

Hasta!
 

1 comment:

Amber said...

Wow. I can so relate to the first half of this post. People not taking meds? Leaving you stuck between a rock and a hard place? uh, yes.

That sunrise is amazing!! Can't wait to see it in person. :)