Saturday, September 8, 2012

Yo estoy loca.

Started a brand new rotation this week.  Psychiatry.  I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to the new schedule.  I'm only at the hospital from 10 - 5 everyday.  I get home and don't know what to do with myself.  Maybe that's one reason why I don't mind the surgery schedule.  It makes the fact that I have no life outside of the hospital less noticeable.  So I have two weeks left of evenings to fill, whether with reading, studying or other form of entertainment.  Challenge accepted.

Thursday I was talking with the director of our Psychiatry rotation.  It came up that I am not actually interested in pursuing Psychiatry, but rather Surgery.  His response took me aback.  He said, "Oh, so you don't want to actually help people?" 
Psychiatry, Medicine, and Surgery are all very different areas of medicine and I can respect that.  I can also respect that doctors are biased towards their respective field...would almost even hope for that.  But to be blind to the fact that all areas are needed;  communication between all is vital to achieve an overall picture of health in our patients and the population as a whole.  And to think that only one area can help people......hmmmm. I guess I shouldn't be so upset.  I know the same mentality is harbored in many surgeons towards the field of Psychiatry.  I guess my goal should be just to remember this.

Hasta!

No comments: