Sunday, September 2, 2012

je ne parle pa francais.


Having some guests this weekend.  Marlene and her boyfriend, Sylvain, came to the US from France. Were in Boston the past week and are visiting me this weekend before they head to Cape Cod for the rest of their trip.  Saturday we went downtown.  They wanted to go to the Central Park Zoo to see Alex.  Alex is the lion in the Madagascar movies.  And then to the American Museum of Natural History.  I hadn’t been to either so was in total agreement.  Then Sunday I tried my hand at entertaining more locally.  Drove down to City Island then stopped and enjoyed Orchard Beach on the way back.  While staying with me Marlene and Sylvain went to work in my small kitchen.  Thanks to them I now know that my stove and oven actually work.  They made crepes and a French potato dish, absolutely delicious.  I gave them string cheese for lunch Sunday and upon trying it Sylvain stated “this isn’t cheese.” And then at the store later took it upon himself to purchase real cheese.  I am surprised to have learned quite a bit about French cooking and cheese this weekend.  I asked them if they would say a few words.  Sylvain decided to write to me instead of to everyone, so I cut and pasted some of his letter for you following Marlene.

Hi I’m back!!! Do you remember me? I’m Marlene a French friend of Christy I’ve been to Guadalajara last November. Again I am visiting Christy but this time in New Rochelle! Me and Sylvain are in vacations for 2 weeks in the US visiting Boston and NY. We stay for the weekend in New Rochelle to see Christy and visit a bit NYC. For us it is the discovery of the American way of life (especially for Sylvain) and for Christy it is a “French cuisine” discovery weekend. Indeed we did some Crepes, Gratin Dauphinois and degustation of a famous suiss cheese the Gruyere. Christy wil share the recipes I think and now she can also cook them for you!!!!
I am really grateful of Christy’s hospitality and kindness I hope that once we can welcome her in Geneva as she did it with me twice!

Marlene

Hi cristy, I’m very glad to meet you on New Rochelle.
I will remember forever the T-Rex that I see with you in the American Museum of Natural History near Central Park in NYC!!! But I don’t see Alex in the zoo…
 And I would like to say that the ocean is good but the sea is better! Maybe you could see my Mediterranean sea if you come.

Pschyt alias Sylvain PICCINI

Hasta!

No comments: