Friday, March 30, 2012

Yo estoy urgenciologa.

That first day of Emergency Medicine as I may have hinted at in my prior blog was a bit rough. My Spanish was rusty....very rusty. Writing notes, I had to resort to literal translation from English at times because I couldn't remember the Spanish terminology and frases commonly used. By my second shift, my team members were getting more comfortable around me, and I around them, and my Spanish finally had returned so it went much more smoothly. The only problem remaining is a case of Senoritis that has set in. I'm just not terribly excited to go to the hospital these days. It's better than returning to HAL so I do want to be there, but I'm no longer learning anything new at this level of education nor do I have an invested interest in pursuing Emergency medicine so I'm just kind of there methodically doing my job. I am thankful for the members of Team "C" though. They like to laugh so I'm enjoying getting to know them.

When I showed up to start for my 2nd shift I was about 2 minutes early so I was sitting and waiting. One of the interns getting ready to go home turned to me and asked, "You're the new pre-intern right?" She had asked the question rhetorically; she already knew I was, but I answered yes anyways just to end the awkward pausing following the question. What I really wanted to ask was how did she know? Her shift was two removed from mine. But I didn't ask. Word just travels somehow. I'm realizing now after being in the States that this particular effect would be nice to have in the States. I just show up and be there, don't have to say anything, don't have to do anything spectacular, and yet still somehow everyone knows who I am. Unfortunately I know that it won't follow me to the States, bummer. I'll actually have to talk to get recognized for a residency.

Hasta!

No comments: