Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Yo estoy enferma de la garganta.

Woke up this morning with a sore throat. Makes sense with all the sick people at the hospital. Both of the third years I work with are sick. But at the same time doesn't make sense considering I'm constanting smearing antiseptic gel all over my hands. Sometimes I take a trip to the bathroom, not because I have to go (I've become horribly dehydrated the past 1 1/2 weeks) but just to wash my hands with some good old fashioned soap.

We have a different attending physician in charge of our service every week. Last week the attending was great. Compassionate even fun. One day rolling the patient into the OR he was at the head of the bed, pushed himself up with his hands and rode the bed for a bit (kind of like on a shopping cart) with this huge grin on his face. Best part about Dr. Issa is that he reminds me of Ringo Starr. The way he looks, the way he talks, even his big grin. It still makes me smile when I cross Ringo in the halls.

On this service i've come to a new appreciation for our body's ability to pass gass. One morning we asked the routine question of "Have you passed gass?" The patient looked up her face all lit up to respond that she had finally. We had to contain ourselves from breaking out dancing and I'm sure more than one whoop and cheer was made. What a relief! She farted!! :)

Today was crazy. Over night our patient list kind of exploded. Seriously! It was messy and it was all over the hospital. I ran more stairs today than I have yet on the service. Our chief resident was in surgery all day with the attending and one intern is on vacation, so one intern and three students spent the day running all over the hospital trying to juggle a seemingly impossible list. Sometimes the other residents/students would express their gratitude that they are on their service and not ours. Only once did someone ask if we were handling it okay and offer to help. Ravi is our intern, correction Super-Intern!!! He kept it together. As the afternoon started getting later and later, I started getting more and more antsy to get out of there as if I sensed this impending doom our juggling was finally about to come crashing down.

Hasta!

No comments: