Saturday, March 10, 2012

Yo estoy una flor.

This week has really shown me what lays ahead of me. After a record crazy Wednesday it did not calm down again. A benefit I'm seeing through all of the extra work is that I'm learning and becoming much much more pro-active, instead of waiting and reacting to the work around me. In addition, due to the heavy workload both in the OR and on the floor all of us students were given a small level of autonomy. I had to trust my own opinion, knowing that at times my superiors had to trust in my opinion. There just wasn't enough time elsewise.

Having done a rotation in cardiac surgery I fear I've become a bit of a snob in the OR. I'm not verbal about it, but I definitely have opinions about it. When I say snob, I mean that I hold surgeons to a high standard and have a hard time respecting those that fall subpar to that standard. For example: I have been so unimpressed by the ability of this past week's attending in the OR that I struggle with respecting him.

At Northwestern Memorial the hierarchy within medicine has been more pronounced than any other place I've been, and definitely moreso than in Mexico. Every medical provider is labeled by a patch on their sleeve. I run around with a patchless coat, and feel like a faceless dot in a sea of people. I left my UAG coat at home on purpose, feeling like there was no need to advertise where I was coming from. I almost wish I had that coat with me. Even if that face was ugly, I at least wouldn't be faceless anymore.

Hasta!

No comments: