Sunday, August 7, 2011

Yo estoy corriendo!

I woke up this morning excited and ready to go. It definitely helped that I had eaten pizza last night, because my body was sufficiently stocked with carbs. I had a race this morning. I came across it while on the website for the Panamerican Games last week. I had been sad at the time because I had just discovered that the Opening Ceremony for the Panamerican Games was already all sold out. (tickets in my price range at least!) So running a 10k rumbo a los panamericanos Guadalajara 2011, seemed like a good alternative. I got a few friends to run with me too! Based on my mood when I woke up I new that it was going to be a good run, but it was fantastic!

I kind of stumbled out of the starting gate. Friday night I had not been able to fall asleep and spent about 3 hours trying to before finally turning my mp3 player to some Jim Brickman which successfully lulled me to sleep in about 1.5 songs. Unfortunately, I had completely forgotten about it and so starting up my music expecting to hear "Forward Motion" by RelientK and instead getting a lullaby....red flashing lights went off in my mind going ABORT!!! ABORT!!! Easily remedied and I was on my way!

A while back I posted links to some videos I'd made while driving home from Ixtlan one night. In one such video, Navegating Guadalajara, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf05XB9OzUI you see a bridge lit up with blue lights. The race took us up and over that bridge. Honestly, that alone would have made the race worth it for me!

There was a runner that ran juggling three pins the whole way!

There was a runner that ran the entire 10k backwards!

The route would double back on itself periodically, and you get to see the front runners. A leisurely sprint, and not even winded. It's amazing!

I had set a goal for myself at the beginning of the race. I judge how I am doing time wise according to the songs on my running list. When I knew the route had made its last turn and I was headed back towards the finish line I also knew that I was running out of time if I was to make my goal. I was thankful that I was able to push myself harder, but I had misjudged the returning stretch. Another song ended, and I was realizing I still had a bit left, and then the route started uphill all the way to the finish. I started counting the lines on the street, which is what I do when I'm tired and trying to not think about being tired. Then suddenly, this young guy in green who was about to pass me, matched my pace. I could see that he kept looking at me. So I tested him. Increased me speed then backing off again. He matched whatever I did. I broke out in a huge smile and started sprinting for the finish. We crossed with over a minute to spare on my goal. We shared a huge grin and then parted ways! I have no idea who that guy was, but to whomever, Thanks! That was a fun finish!

Rumbo a los panamericanos basically means Bound for the Panamerican Games!


Sorry I went on so long about the race, but I was really excited and wanted to share with someone! Now I can officially say I've run a 10k! Plus I even got home before Gridley's morning services started!

A beautiful Sunday morning in Guadlajara!

Hasta!

1 comment:

Schlipf family said...

aww That is so fun!! Congrats on your 10k!! That lil guy in green makes me smile :) This story makes me think just a lil bit of our walk when finally we were like ummm I don't think I can go another round.. :)
Sending you some hugs and prayers,
K