Friday, January 21, 2011

Yo estoy una gladiadora.

Had my first exam of the year today, and boy was it a tough one. I've gotten out of practice or something cause my critical thinking wasn't coinciding with my logical thinking and then sometimes my imagination would just take over completely leaving both out. Plus I struggled more than normal with the Spanish on this particular exam. Well, a lot more than normal. At the end of exams there are commonly about 5 bonus questions. Typically there is an excerpt from an article in English and then in Spanish there are 5 questions. Usually a slice a lemon meringue pie, but today of course the key word to the answer for one of these questions I'd never seen before but after a few minutes of guessing and elimination I decided I would answer as if the word was 'starch'. And it totally was!!!! Granted I left HAL today feeling like I'd just been decked in the face hard, but hey! I got starch!

Had a run-in with the boiler again earlier this week. The worst part of it was that I was finally taking a break to shower (a.k.a. warm up) and then I stood there and the water never got above cold. I actually needed to shower so I couldn't just forget it. I'm so thankful I didn't slip and eat tile because as I had to keep moving, my feet would have made a boxer look like he was waltzing. Instead of bringing my purple fingers and toes back to their normal red as I was hoping I emerged more white, but at least I was clean. There is an older couple in the church at Ixtlan, and early every morning, before the sun comes up, they wake up and take a cold shower. Really I don't know how they do it! Summers ok, but winter? How can taking a cold shower when it's 40 degrees F be healthy?

There is a new guy in my class. I've seen him around before. He's from either two or three semesters ahead of me, but either way he's in sixth semester now. And unfortunately, due to no fault of his, I try my best not to even look at him, because I get upset whenever I do. He's a nice guy and all. Our only conversation went as follows:
Him: "felicidades!"
Me: "No! Ella!"
Completely insignificant. But I can't look at him without being reminded of Spot Conlon. And to me no one has the right to look like Spot Conlon! Spot Conlon is Spot Conlon....I mean he's the "key." And how dare this guy come along and act all nonchalant about it. It's as if he's stomping with muddy boots all over a childhood memory. booooo! I need to go watch Newsies again.

I love dreaming! Love it so much that sometimes up to half of my studying time is spent dreaming! I've had unpleasant dreams in the past, but recently I've had more of them. I can't say I would call them nightmares. But they are the type of dream that you wake up unsetteled and distraught. I lay in bed just confused and upset and can't quite figure it out. My rythym for the whole day is thrown off. It's enough that I honestly don't know if I even want to dream anymore, and that would be a tragedy itself.

Mom, I think I should have done a better job of smelling those clothes I got for Christmas. I bent over in a stretch the other day and got a nose full of J.C. Penney's.

Well, that's all for this post. I'm taking a break tonight, hanging out over at a friend's. I'm bringing the popcorn, and I'm late!

Hasta!

No comments: