Monday, January 24, 2011

Yo estoy preparando.

Surgery rotation has not been too enjoyable these past two weeks. I really shouldn't be complaining because it's due to no new circumstances, simply the same old lack of organization, but for some reason it just seemed rather excessive this time.
Example: internationals have been split into two different subgroups for this rotation. On day 1 it was explained to subgroup 1 what was expected of them and when. Of course confusion was still involved, but at least they had something and were able to get started, balancing their studying with their research. My subgroup on the other hand, subgroup 2, was not given any instruction on what we were supposed to be doing. Zero. Zilch. Nada! I showed up each day the first week thinking the doctor in charge of us would finally let us know, but he never did. And then the second week, this past week, was when those in subgroup 2 with me started questioning, and asking, and wondering, and guessing, but always and only amongst ourselves. (We really need to just slap ourselves sometimes!) So of course by Friday we had a bunch of questions, no answers, and one rather frustrated Christy! Friday before our exam I finally just asked the doctor what he was expecting us to be doing concerning our research and presentation. He just looked back at me and asked me if I wanted to do it. I kind of snorted a chuckle and said no! He laughed then and shrugged, told me or us (us now because by this time more classmates were listening in on the conversation) not to worry about it. Well, that took a load of my back! That is until about 10 minutes later, during which our doctor had had a conversation with the head of the department. He walks back into the room we were in, picks up a dry erase marker and starts filling the white board with words, and bullet points, and underlinings that we've all got to now decipher and complete by Friday.
I am annoyed about what subgroup 1 had three weeks to complete we are left with only one week to complete, but that's not my main annoyance. There's a total of five...let's call them 'items', that I need to have on a CD to turn in on Friday. I'll be able to get it all done by Friday, so I'm not worried about that. But my main annoyance is still the apparent complete absence of organization exhibited by the Surgery department at HAL in this situation. To have no direction for two weeks, and then finally give direction only to do a complete 180 just 10 minutes later. Mexico and UAG is going to have us international UAG medical students being so incredibly flexible that by the time we graduate in a 1 1/2 years, we'll be able to fit into a 1 foot cubic box.....ok, ok, maybe a 1 1/2 foot cubic box.
So due to all this mess, I've got a very busy week ahead of me. Gonna have to wake up tomorrow morning and get down to business!
Ready...Set...Go!

Hasta!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love and prayers to you!! :)
K