Sunday, April 26, 2009

Yo estoy preocupada.

It's my little sister's birthday today!! She turns 20

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHELLI!!

Washed my car again yesterday. Found a plethora of new bumps, dents, and gigantic scratches. Don't drive something in Mexico that you want to keep nice. Cars definitely don't play nice down here. In fact, just the other day I was returning home. My road is both directions, but often there is only room for one car to pass at a time. I was at the point to pull into my parking spot when I saw a car coming in the opposite direction so I made to pull to the side instead of cutting across the road in front of him. All though I had already pulled to the side the driver of the car flashed his lights at me anyways. I'm still confused as to why exactly. He passed and I turned to park. I heard THUNK!!! The car had hit a parked car!! One of his hubcaps was spiralling away, but guess it wasn't important enough, because he left his hubcap, left the poor victimized parked car which now had a nice big scrap and dent in the front, and drove off. I still can't get over the fact that with plenty of room for him to pass safely the guy hit a PARKED CAR!!! aiaiaiai!

Outside my door there is a potted plant... or was a potted plant. While I was home to water it survival was possible. I came home from Magdalena and the poor plant was dead. Instead, beautiful green weeds were growing. So now I water them.

Had some classmates over to play Dutch Blitz last night. It has quickly become a favorite game amongst ourselves, which I am so thankful for. I was a bit nervous that my friends would think it a silly game, and I'd have to play by myself. Triffinie brought all of her kids with her. The following picture was taken about 3:00 am. Dutch Blitz still going strong. Not the same for the kids. You can see Triffinie's two youngest in the back knocked out.

Hasta!!

Prayer request: Swine flu in Mexico has recently turned into a "public health emergency of international concern." Health officials in Jalisco say they have identified 18 people in the state with flu-like symptoms who may be infected with the swine flu virus. The H1N1 strain of swine flu is usually associated with pigs. When the flu spreads person-to-person via air, instead of from animals to humans, it can continue to mutate, making it a tougher strain that is harder to treat or fight off. Currently more than 1,300 people are suspected of having the swine flu in Mexico, 80 of whom have died. Only 20 deaths, however, have been confirmed as being from swine flu. The center of the swine flu outbreak is Mexico City, roughly 5 hours from Guadalajara. My classes have been cancelled Monday and Tuesday as a safety precaucion against the swine flu. In addition, Mexico's borders are to be closed soon. Prayers for the country of Mexico as it combats this outbreak. Prayers for the people of Mexico. Prayers for the families of the victims. Prayers for the doctors as they treat this disease. As a student doctor myself, who associates with other student doctors on a whole campus of student doctors who almost all weekly go to their clinics, all it would take is one infected individual in a clinic to be treated by one of my comrades in white. Prayers for God's will.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Dear Christy - I will pray for you and your classmates and all of the people in Mexico. Please keep us updated! I went to a talk time end of the year dinner tonight, and you were in a picture and it made me miss you so much. You have greatly impacted so many people and I love you!