Saturday, March 19, 2022

Soy una vaquera.

 I never seriously thought of myself as a robotics surgeon. Never thought it realistic. Yet here I am, diving in and snatching up all the robotic time the OR will permit me. Ha, you know what they say about never. Never say it. Intuitive is the company that owns the DaVinci Robot we use for our cases. When presented with the option for an expense-paid masters/review course, I of course replied with, show me the dates. Easier said than done due to scheduling conflicts, but there was one 2-day course in Houston, TX that I was able to make. So taking my tech, Mackenzie, with me, we flew down for a quick trip. 

This is the console and where I sit for my robot cases. I have control of four different arms, one for a camera and three additional working arms. The viewer is a 3D viewer that I can amplify up to 40x magnification.

With my arms I control movements and a few other viewer options, and with my feet I control which arm I'm working with and any energy that I want to use. 

I was able to pick up a bucket full of ideas and helpful hints on techniques and suggestions that I will definitely be taking back to Lafayette with me. 

Andrew and Bre were another surgeon + tech team that were with Mackenzie and I for the course. Intuitive had put us all up in the same hotel, and while waiting for our driver to pick us up after our first day ended we decided not to let the rain and thunderstorms dampen our spirits and grabbed some last minute tickets to check out the Houston rodeo that was underway. 

 Smiles, despite being herded like cattle all the way from the parking lot to the rodeo. 

Like I said, herded like cattle. NRG stadium. Houston Texas.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Just a small event... jk, might just be the largest program I've ever seen!

Warming up. 

Definitely in the minority without our cowboy hats, but still smiling! Me, Bre, Andrew, Mackenzie.

National Anthem

 

 

No rain in Houston after day two, so Mackenzie took a different approach to afternoon/evening passage of time and entertainment. 

Much Love.





No comments: