Sunday, January 31, 2021

Uncle Kevin

 Oh Uncle Kevin! God took you home to be with Grandma & Grandpa. I know you missed them. Family was so important to you. As loyal as the rising sun you loved us all, none of us could doubt. These past few years, we could count on your skype call with your update on AZ weather, which of your neighbors had walked by that day and the latest update on your ailments. I say that with utmost fondness and endearment as only you deserve and as it will be mentioned for as long as our memories exist. 

Looking back through family pictures for specific faces, patterns start to rise. In the case of Uncle Kevin, you would see his face in one of three places. 

1) a yearly Christmas picture, taken solo and typically with the Budweiser stein he had received that year. I did not save any of these.

2) a yearly picture at the annual butchering, again taken solo, as he manned the kettles for the cracklins 

For example:

 I did find one with him away from his position at the kettles and in the garage where the butchering was happening. Taken probably 27-30 years ago, he was still making that same face even two weeks ago when I was skyping with him! 

3) family pictures, and I found three of those. For example, the one below. I remember Mom telling Carrie to sit at Uncle Kevin's feet to cover up his flip flops. 

Other than those he randomly would pop up. There is no story for the random ones. But in a way that makes them even better!

This is just an example, but you can often see Uncle Kevin off to the side of a picture, not looking at the camera. 

Maybe we were together to celebrate Mom's birthday. Whatever the occasion, I'm glad we built a snowman, rubber gloves and all!

This was perhaps the biggest surprise find for me as the pictures of Uncle Kevin were so rare. I wonder if I was telling him a story, and he patiently listening. Either way I was very excited to show him my cassette tape!


This was from my last trip home to see Grandma before she died, after which Uncle Kevin moved to AZ. He's such a proud uncle with Peter Bear and Little Lincoln. He was called a gentle giant at his funeral. This photo illustrates that well.

The last time I got to see Uncle Kevin in person was actually in San Fransisco. He flew from AZ to meet us there for a few days. Doesn't look it, but he was secretly very excited to be there!!

Last picture of Uncle Kevin, taken NYE 2020 by his neighbor.

Love you Uncle Kevin!




No comments: