Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Estoy multiplicada.

 My return to work coincided with one of my co-workers leaving for maternity leave. Baby Arielle was born today, our newest member of W.O.W.!

There is a long story, and an unfortunate chain of events which I will spare, but it has culminated with me taking on my co-worker's service in addition to my own. The perpetual conundrum of the surgical resident... how do we be in multiple places at once? It's not the first time I've managed multiple services simultaneously. The first time I was only a prelim PGY2, so... a long time ago... and when I expressed concern to my chief, she shrugged me off saying, "you'll be fiiiiinnnnnne!" very obviously not worried about it. This time around, the roles are reversed. My team members look at me and concerned ask, "how will you do it?!" I shrug them off now saying, "it'll be fiiiinnnnnne!" And it will be, I've been a resident too long to think anything else. No, I still haven't figured out omnipresence, so I'll go to one place then the other, and so on and so forth. 

Yesterday we were back-up for a liver, when it ultimately went to a different institution I discussed with my attending how it's usually about 48hrs for the next offer, at least in my limited experience. He was not so positive in our prospects of another offer. It was then approximately 7 hrs later, middle of the night, and a liver was offered, accepted, procured, and I was in the OR working on the backtable preparation of our brand new liver for our patient. I refrained from tell my attending, 'I told you so.' 

Due to our new liver transplant, I had no time to prepare myself for morning rounds on either service. I guess that's why we have our teams, and everyone on those teams play a very important role. When I'm looking for my patient's fourth drain they can remind me.... this patient only has three drains. Mixing up my drains amongst services has to be semi-expected when one is post-call right?

Much Love and prayers!

No comments: