Friday, October 30, 2020

Estoy corriendo.

 Running is one of my hobbies, my past times, and over the years served as a vital outlet at times. Perhaps saved a phone or pager or two from being smashed against the wall.  It gets me outside, into fresh air, and I can run until I feel normal again... whatever that is. In short, I used to run to "keep my heart happy". Which could be taken physiologically as well as psychologically and I ment it as such. 

Ever since COVID swept through New York, I had an additional motivation. My lungs. I ran to "Keep my lungs happy", in my own way refusing to succumb to the damage of any potential virus, and remind myself that I am still breathing.

As I started running more, and more on a random whim I entered the lottery to run the New York City Marathon... which of course I didn't win. And then surgeries started back up again. And then chief residency year start. And life returned to as it ever was, very busy. Running started taking up its previous role as an outlet reserved for any days off and post-call days. 

Then the New York City Marathon was cancelled, and went virtual, open to anyone. So I entered... paid a bit extra than the entrance fee so that if life happened and I wasn't able to complete it, I had still made a donation so it wasn't a complete waste of money. Next step I made was to download a training app, because honestly... I had no idea how to run a marathon.  I wasn't able to follow the training schedule day by day, due to work, but I kept as close as I possibly could. 

And I did it! I took advantage of the travel restrictions from COVID and ran a marathon this week! And in so doing checked something off the bucket list. Something I haven't been able to do since bungee jumping in New Zealand! Ran it in 4hrs and 23min. When I had entered the lottery I had put down 5hrs and 15min as an estimated time, giving myself 15min to run the last mile. Then as I ran the last few weeks, wondered if maybe I could do it under 5hrs. So I'm happy! I'm happy I finally did it! Completed something, I've wanted to do for many years. I can finally say, I've run a marathon, rather than I want to run a marathon one day! I can join that community from all walks of life, that spans cultural boundaries, no language needed, united by a goal and a joy and a support of each other, as we run. 

Few pictures from my week.

I did better with relaxing as the week has passed. Happy fall!

Got to love my nephews a little bit!

Much Love and Prayers!



No comments: